Health, Physical Education Teacher Education (k-12)
Associate of Science (Two year program)
This concentration provides the first two years of a teacher preparation program for teaching certificate programs K-12. Students on this track are encouraged to take the Part 1 of the PRAXIS TEACHER PREPARATION EXAM before they transfer to a four?year college or university for teaching certificate programs K-12.
Health and Physical Educators plan and direct appropriate learning experiences that focus on helping students learn to enjoy health and physical activity as a lifelong pursuit. Health and Physical Education specialists are trained to create teaching/learning environments where students improve movement abilities, enhance performance knowledge and motor skills, increase physical fitness, and experience personal growth both socially and emotionally.
This program provides the student the opportunity to:
- understand mastery level knowledge and competency in the skills required for transfer to a 4 year degree program to prepare the student for a career in teaching health and physical education. (K-12)
- understand general education and health and physical education knowledge to provide safe and effective health/fitness and recreation activities for children and adults.
The graduate of this program is able to:
- Demonstrate oral presentation skills in interpersonal and group situations.
- Demonstrate mastery of the theory and skills in fitness, lifetime sport and team sport activities.
- Integrate all forms of program development the six dimensions of health and their relevance to prevention, maintenance and treating health.
- Design and implement health/fitness/recreation programs for children and adults.
- Provide safe environments for physical activity.
- Provide first aid care.