Careers On The Move
Luzerne County Community College and Lehigh Carbon Community College as partners were awarded in 2008, a three year, $1.7 million dollar US Department of Labor grant to strengthen workforce skills in the Logistics & Transportation and Advanced Manufacturing industries in our region. The grant and its programs are called "Careers on the Move".
Careers on the Move has linked with Workforce Investment Boards, Career Links, and Industry Partnerships in a 13-county region to learn what skills are required.
The focus areas for the program are pipeline talent, skills upgrade and career exploration for youth. For employers in the region, this is an opportunity to further develop their employees in the workforce in areas such as:
- Low cost training for forklift operators, warehouse workers, CDL Class A drivers, Diesel Mechanics and Industrial Maintenance technicians or mechanics
- Classes for employees to study business, logistics and manufacturing technology
- Assistance with recruitment and retention
- Special programs to help employees with ESL (English as a Second Language)
Career Link has recognized several occupational areas which are experiencing shortages in the available workforce, specifically in the Lehigh Valley region, including:
- Trades occupations such as industrial maintenance technicians
- Supply Chain Management and Warehousing Distribution
- Transportation, including CDL A Drivers
This is an outstanding opportunity for employers and future employees in these industries as well as current employees wanting to get further in their career.
For more information about how to get involved in the "Careers on the Move" grant, please contact Christine Donnolo at 570-740-0495.
"This product was funded by a grant awarded under the President's Community -Based Job Training Grants as implemented by the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment & Training Administration. The information contained in this product was created by a grantee organization and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. All reference to non-governmental companies or organizations, their services, products,or resources are offered for informational purposes and should not be construed as an endorsement by the Department of Labor. This product is copyrighted by the institution that created it and is intended for individual organizational, non-commercial use only."